Contact Elected Officials/Tips

'Waiting for Bowe' Sgt Bowe Bergdahl -POW


(IMPORTANT! Follow HERE for tips on how to write/call your elected officials as well as a sample letters.)

Follow the underlined links below to find contact information for your elected officials.


 Find Your Congressional Members’ Names Using Your ZIP Code at Contacting the Congress 

 • Official United States Senate Member List

• Official United States House of Representatives Member List

If you know the names of your Senators and Representative, you can call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202)224-3121 and ask for your Senators’ and/or Representative’s office. When you are connected, you can leave a message for your Members of Congress. Each Member of Congress also has their own website where you can send them an email.

It’s also VERY important to contact President Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel.

Click HERE to contact President Obama at the White House

 Secretary of State Kerry: (EMAIL LINK) 
U.S. Department of State
Attention: Secretary John Kerry
2201 C Street NW
Washington DC 20520

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel (EMAIL LINK) 
Secretary of Defense
1000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1000

In the matter of Sergeant Bergdahl, it could also be very beneficial to contact your Congress Members if they are on the House and/or Senate Armed Services Committees. (LINK to find names of Senate members on the committee). (LINK to find names of House members on the committee)  If you have a Member of Congress on the Senate Armed Services Committee’s Subcommittee on Personnel or on the House Armed Services Committee’s Subcommitee on Personnel, please make a point of contacting them as these subcommittees deal with POW*MIA issues. (Subcommittee members listed BELOW)

If you don’t have any Congress Members on the lists below, you should know that contacting them using their website email will be impossible if your address doesn’t fall in the area they represent. As far as written letters, each member on the following lists has staff assistants who sort letters that people send. Again, if you include an address in your letters that isn’t located in the area the Member represents, the letter will usually be forwarded to your own Members of Congress. If you do decide to write a Congress Member on the list who doesn’t represent you, we suggest that in the very first line of your letter, you should write “I’m contacting you because you are a Member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Subcommittee on Personnel” OR “because you are a Member of the House Armed Services Committee, Subcommittee on Personnel.” Be sure to include your address below your signature. By letting them know in the FIRST line why you are contacting them, there should be a better chance that your letter won’t be forwarded to your own Congressional Representatives. 


Gillibrand, Kirsten E. (NY)
Hagan, Kay R. (NC)
Blumenthal, Richard (CT)
Hirono, Mazie K. (HI)
Kaine, Tim (VA)
King, Angus S. (ME)
Levin, Carl (MI)
Graham, Lindsey (SC)
Ayotte, Kelly (NH)
Blunt, Roy (MO)
Lee, Mike (UT)


Joe Wilson (SC)
Walter B. Jones (NC)
Joseph J. Heck, (NV)
Austin Scott (GA)
Brad R. Wenstrup, (OH)
Jackie Walorski (IN)
Chris P. Gibson (NY)
Kristi L. Noem, (SD)
Susan A. Davis, (CA)
Robert A. Brady, (PA)
Madeleine Z. Bordallo (GU)
Iowa David Loebsack (IA)
Niki Tsongas (MA)
Carol Shea-Porter (NH)